How About Some More Crap You Can Read?

Here you can read about crap, stuff, or whatever you want to call whatever I write.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Beer Trip 2005: Day One (Plus A Little More)

I’m back, baby! I’m back! First of all, thanks to Justrose, EatMisery, and Mr. C. for their guest entries while I was gone. I liked them, and I hope you did as well. Anyway, I have a lot to write about and less time than normal since I have a ton to catch up with at work, so I will give you my trip recap over two or three entries. Let’s get right to it.

First of all, on Tuesday night, I had a slight panic attack. When I went to the gas station to fill up with gas, I didn’t have my credit card with me. Now I knew that I must have left it at Houlihan’s, where I had lunch with my friend Liz that day since it wasn’t in my car, my wallet, or my pants pocket. So after checking those places first, I called up Houlihan’s. I spoke to the first person, and they put me on hold for about five minutes before being transferred to the manager. I was on hold with him while he looked for a few minutes before he told me that they didn’t have it. So I was freaking out. Really panicking. I called Liz up to see if she remembered me picking up my card or not, and she didn’t remember. So I was panicking more. All this was going on while I was trying to show Mr. C. how to update my site for while I was gone. As I was trying to explain it to him quickly, my mind was slowly losing it. I was showing him what to do, and my wife brought me my phone saying that Liz was calling. Well, Liz told me that Houlihan’s did indeed have my credit card, as she called them again just to make sure I called the right Houlihan’s (which I did). I’m still confused on how they found the credit card when Liz called and not me, but I rushed to go pick it up right away as my wife was leaving to meet her friends out for Girls’ Night. What a start to my vacation!

Wednesday morning Timmy showed up at my house around 8 AM so that we could load up my car and head out by 8:30 AM. We were on the road at 8:20 AM with five pieces of luggage, four coolers, and one mini-cooler. The trip to Ames, IA, was pretty uneventful, with me missing only one on-ramp from a detour and one rest area stop so Timmy could get a pamphlet that read, “Forget the bar scene! Meet county singles here!” Unfortunately for Timmy, the pamphlet cost $1.00, and we didn’t have change, so he was out of luck. We arrived in Ames a little after noon and had lunch at the Olde Main Brewing Company along with our first samplers. The place seemed really small, until I went to piss and saw a huge non-smoking section on the other side of the bathroom. It was a pretty nice place. The sampler was the strangest of the trip, as it included seven five-ounce samplers and a root beer. Never saw a root beer in a beer sampler before, but it was okay. The beers were pretty good, nothing bad or spectacular (their Red Ale was my favorite), but the guys sitting at the next table asked us how we liked them as they were leaving. We told them they were pretty good, and he asked if we’d been there before since they were the brewers. We were telling them that they were the first stop on our trip, and they were so captivated by our Beer Trip. They thought we were the coolest guys in the world, and were “honored” that we stopped there. They told us to go to the New Glarus Brewing Company, which we told them we already were planning on, and then told us to by “all of their apple beer that they have!!!” One guy mentioned that we should have brought a camera to make a movie about it (which I originally planned on doing, but didn’t since there were only two of us on the trip). He told us that we “could’ve gotten rich by doing that!” Oh well. We left a little around 1:30 PM to head to Mankato, MN. When we got to there, we went to our hotel, just chilled for a bit, and cleaned up before heading to the Bandana Brewery for dinner and beers. Lots o’ beers. You see, at the Bandana Brewery, they had a Wednesday night special that was probably the best drink special I’d ever heard of. From 8-11 PM, you could drink all you wanted for just $5. Five bucks!!! Needless to say that besides each of us singing two karaoke songs a piece (with the roughest lesbian chicks I’ve ever seen running it), we got our money’s worth. Our cab picked us up around 11:15 PM (there was really no need to stay much after the special ended), and we got back to the hotel, changed into our swim trunks, and were in the pool before 11:30 PM. Luckily, neither of us drowned, and sometime after that we went to bed. Day One in the books. (Sorry, Hedy. I never got to drink a beer in front of your old house. Sorry to disappoint).

Wow, that was a long entry for only one and a half days! I guess I’ll stop now and tell you about the next day or two tomorrow, which includes an encounter with two morons, two Indians (not Native Americans), and a 60-year-old drunken freak. And that was just after we got back to the hotel for the evening on Wednesday. Timmy, if I missed anything, feel free to make a comment. Later.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Doncock said…

    Can't wait to hear the rest. Thought of something, though. If this is going to be an annual event, I think you should come up with a better name for it than "Beer Trip".

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger eatmisery said…

    I think you should keep calling it "Beer Trip" and I think you should have the Food Network make a series out of it.

    Get paid for these!

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Screw the Food Network. Start your own network...... the Beer Network!!!!! And I now am entitled to a finders fee for that idea, thank you.

    Six

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Popscock said…

    I think you should use the German term for beer trip - "Bierfahrt." Using a foreign phrase gives it class and dignity.

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Wy Wyoming House Cleaning said…

    Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
    site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
    finding blogs as good as your site.
    Sweetie, go and search my va virginia house cleaning blog for what you need.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home