How About Some More Crap You Can Read?

Here you can read about crap, stuff, or whatever you want to call whatever I write.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Beer Trip 2005: Day Five - The Final Chapter

On Sunday, I woke up feeling better than any other day of the trip, besides Day One. And felt about the same as then. We planned on hitting the road at 9:15 AM, and we were off at 9 AM. The first leg of the trip was pretty uneventful, since we were driving though the worst stretch of highway in the world, I-88 in western Illinois. Western Illinois makes western Kansas look like Vegas. For about a 25 mile stretch, it was down to one lane traffic, only going about 45 MPH, and having orange barrels on each side of the lane about every ten yards. It was almost surreal looking, as they must have had about 100,000 barrels when you consider it was so long, and it was two barrels for each side of the highway and only about ten-to-twenty yards apart. Western Illinois sucks ass! Except for the greatest city in the world, Moline (which is practically Chicago, even if it’s two and a half hours away), where we had our first stop of Day Five. Moline, for those of you who aren’t aware, is the hometown of my friend Rob Deer. Moline Rock City, baby! Anyway, we drove into Moline, and from the highway it didn’t look any different from any other large town/small city. But once we pulled off into the area where the brewpub was, it looked like a fucking ghost town. It looked like Moline got in a battle royal with the three other Quad Cities and came away looking like it just went 15 rounds with Joe Frazier. Anyway, we found the Bent River Brewing Company around noon, and decided to park in the back. So we got out of the car, and within ten to twenty seconds of stepping out of the car, some old lady asked Timmy and I for a quarter to ride the bus. It was pretty damn funny. Timmy had one, gave it to her, and she went on her way, but what better way is there to be greeted in your buddy’s hometown than being asked for change? And she could have at least offered Timmy a handy. Oh well. We walked into Bent River through the back part, and the patio area seemed pretty nice. When we got inside, I think we startled the bartender as I don’t think they expected anyone before 5 PM. It was deader than dead. We ordered a couple of samplers, which came in fours, and a couple of burgers. The beers were actually pretty good in my opinion (I really liked the Dry-Hopped Pale Ale), and the patty melt I had was one of the best hamburgers I had ever had in my life. It was awesome. Timmy liked his burger too. I ordered a growler-to-go for Ron Mexico, Timmy got a pint glass, and we were on our way. Our next stop was John’s Grocery in Iowa City, where I had orders from Mr. C., Ron Mexico, and Doncock to bring them back beer that we cannot get in Kansas. I had a large order myself. In total, I bought eleven six packs, plus about another ten bottles and cans from John’s for the four of us (Timmy just used their bathroom to take another piss). We were there for about 45 minutes, and we were on our way to Des Moines. We originally discussed going to another brewery in Iowa, but we decided that since it was our last day, we just wanted to get home. Our last stop of beer trip (beside a couple more piss stops for Timmy) was the Court Avenue Restaurant and Brewing Company. This place was actually pretty cool, especially considering it was in Des Moines. Actually, I’ve only really driven through Des Moines, so I can’t really say anything bad about it. But Court Avenue was located in a cool part of town, and it looked like it was in an old building that they renovated really nice. It was early, so we only ordered appetizers, but they were good. The sampler was eight beers, and all were pretty tasty except for the Capital Raspberry Wheat, but I don’t like Raspberry beers anyway. I think my favorite was the Blackhawk Stout, as was Timmy’s. We were only there for about an hour or so, and then headed back home. Really an uneventful day, but after five days, it was about as good as we could have hoped for. We arrived at my house just before 9 PM, unpacked our stuff, and then Timmy and I sobbed for about a half hour, knowing that Beer Trip 2005 was in the books. Sniff. I still get teary-eyed thinking about it. It was one of the best trips I’ve ever taken, and the way it sounds, there will be a few more guys joining us next year for Beer Trip 2006 from the responses I’ve gotten. Only about eleven months to one year away! The countdown begins…

4 Comments:

  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger eatmisery said…

    You must go to Goose Island in Chicago next year. Great beer.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Agreed Goose Island is great beer. We're actually lucky enough to get that here in KS. Goose Island is one of my all time favorite brew makers.

    Mr.C

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger justrose said…

    did i ever tell you before that the only beer i will drink is lindemanns frambois? is that even considered beer? anyway, it rocks. wish i had some right now. like raspberry gingerale -- but better, and way too rare for my taste.

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Tn Tennessee House Cleaning said…

    Great blog. I surf the web looking for blogs like
    this. Your site was on point and will be back again!
    Click on my nd north dakota house cleaning blog before its to late.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home