How About Some More Crap You Can Read?

Here you can read about crap, stuff, or whatever you want to call whatever I write.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

My Summer Vacation

Whenever I come back to work after a vacation, it almost seems like it’s not worth taking the vacation. I was gone for two and a half “work days”, but it seems like it takes at least two hours per day gone to catch up (even with someone backing me up), and yesterday was just a clusterfuck of a day. So a million apologies for not posting yesterday. So what have I been up to?

We left on Thursday to fly to Nashville, where we were going to get a rental car and then drive the two and a half hours to Knoxville. Unfortunately, the flight to Nashville had two problems. First of all, it was a full flight, so we weren’t able to have a spare seat for the boy and his car seat. So he hopped from my lap to my wife’s lap for most of the flight, only sleeping for about a half hour. Also, the flight was delayed about an hour and a half due to lightning. Normally, I don’t get too annoyed by flight delays, as there really isn’t anything the airlines can do about it. But what is annoying is having the delay while on the plane, and then seeing my luggage outside getting rained on since it’s too dangerous for them to load it on the plane. There’s nothing quite as comforting as landing an hour and a half late and then getting wet suitcases. We did have some good fortune though. We sat next to a really nice lady from Jacksonville who was great with our son and was just a great person in general. She even asked if she could hold him at one point, and he gave her a big hug. Another great thing was that my son was awesome on the plane, never crying and only once or twice making a noise that might have been a little loud. But it was nothing louder than like a sneeze. So that was awesome, because the only thing worse than sitting on a plane with a crying baby is being the parent of that crying baby and knowing that every other person on that plane hates you.

Tennessee was pretty good. I got to hang out with my family, and we spent a lot of time in the pool. I actually had a really good time, as did the rest of the fam. We went to a bar where my brother’s radio station had a remote, and they had cheep drinks. $10.50 for a Straw-tini, a white zinfandel, and a draw of the local brewery’s Hefeweisen. Not too shabby. Besides that, my parents grilled out a lot, and we just hung out. We did have lunch at one brewery, where my son proceeded to scream really loud about ten times. But I’ll take that in a non-crowded brewpub as opposed to an airplane. All in all, it was a great trip. We’ll have to go back soon.

Oh yeah, since you people really care a lot about my opinions on beer, on my trip I had one of the worst two or three beers I’ve ever had, and also had one of the best two or three best beers I’ve ever had. The New Knoxville Brewing Company’s Traditional Pale Ale was so bad, that it made me not want to go visit the brewery. I didn’t visit it, and I actually poured out about three-fourths of it down the drain. It was popcorn beer bad. But the beer that I was pretty pumped up for was Dogfish Head’s 60 Minute I.P.A. I actually drove around trying to find it, as they don’t sell it in Kansas. Eventually I found it, and it was awesome. Well worth the search. I really hope I can score some when I go to upstate New York in two weeks.

Oh, in response to “Tennessee Resident” stating that country music in Tennessee is just a stereotype, I have to disagree wholeheartedly. At least compared to every other place I’ve been in the U.S. The bar we went to was a dance club. So you’d expect to hear dance club type music (which sucks nearly equally to country). Instead, they played Jimmy Buffet. I can handle Buffet, but he is country and it was a little strange for the bar we were at. Also, stores play country music over their loudspeakers. At Target, Steinmart, and even the liquor store, country music was played. Everywhere else it’s usually 80s pop or the easy listening station, but it was country, at least the three places I went to. And not to mention the frequency of country radio stations (although there were some pretty good non-country stations), the airport displays with country music “stars”, and the big amusement park being called “Dollywood” after Dolly Parton. Listen, I get it. Everyone can like whatever music they like, and that’s fine with me. I just don’t happen to like country music. I can tolerate it, for the most part. But it’s not good. Anyway, the country music stereotype is pretty fitting. Don’t take it as a criticism of your state. I’m only saying it as a matter of fact. At least to me.

One thing about the trip made me most proud. Well, at least next to how great my son was on both flights. But at the airport, I decided to prepay for gas at $1.91 a gallon and bring the car back empty. Well first of all, the gas prices outside were all over $2 a gallon. And most importantly, as I pulled off the highway to go into the airport to return the car, the “Low Fuel” light came on. I didn’t once stop to fill up with gas. Fuck yeah, bee-yotches!!! I actually made a good decision! Atta boy, Fisty!!! Oh yeah, it was also pretty cool that the car I drove was a 2005 Toyota Camry with eight miles on it. If you’re looking for a new car, I’d recommend the Camry. Drives smooth like a Ken doll’s package.

Well, I’ve got to get back to work. If I’ve forgotten or left out anything, or if you have any questions, just ask. I’ll probably just give you some smart ass response, but ya never know. You might learn something before it’s all through. Hey! Hey! Hey!

"What would Brian Boitano do if he were here right now?"

He'd make a plan & he'd follow thru *** 16% (3 Votes)
He'd kick some serious ass ***** 27% (5 Votes)
He'd win a gold medal * 5% (1 Votes)
He'd look for some cock ******* 38% (7 Votes)
Other (please comment) ** 11% (2 Votes)
Total of 18 votes

5 Comments:

  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Doncock said…

    Woo hoo! Fisty saved 3 bucks on gas! Sounds like you pretty much made money on the trip!

    I kid because I love. Glad you're back. You were one missed Fist.

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger eatmisery said…

    Happy to see you're back home again! You were missed!

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm just dying to know, who let the dogs out? Who, who, who, who?

    Six

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger justrose said…

    hilarious poll fisty. welcome back!

     
  • At 6:31 AM, Blogger Maidink said…

    Fisty!! Welcome back and glad to see you had a great time in TN (aside from the country music).

    Isn't it great when YOUR kid is the good kid on a plane? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home